This journey started over three years ago. It was while looking at various places around the world to do Volunteer work I stumbled across opportunities in Nepal. Many of the organizations also offered treks to Everest Base Camp. It lit a spark in me. I knew without a doubt that I wanted to go teach in Nepal and attempt the EBC trek. The journey started.
At first, the countdown was in years - 3...2..1. Then it became months, finally weeks, and now just a few short days. During this journey I added challenges to help me get prepared. Hiking in New Mexico and Colorado including the Manitou Incline in the Autumns of 2024 & 2025. I hiked to the summit of Guadalupe Peak. I went to Big Bend National Park twice and completed several challenging hikes including the 13 mile South Rim. I went to Peru and hiked a section of the Inca Trail along with several other hikes there and also volunteered at an wild animal rehab zoo. I was 64 years old when I started. I am now 67 and in probably the best shape I have been in since my youth.
I was looking back at my posts and saw this one from when I first joined the gym just over two years ago -I did fifty minutes on the treadmill with varying heights on the incline from -3 to the highest of 15. I tried to mimic what I would do on a hike. I varied the speed based on the incline from 2.0 to 2.5 mph. My average for the workout was 2.4 mph. I then climbed on the stair-stepper And did 5 minutes at 45 steps per minute. Oh wow, I have come a long way. The treadmill is now at 3.1- 3.4 mph with 45 to 60 minutes at 15% incline. I do an additional 15 - 30 minutes at lower inclines. The stair-master is at 60 steps per minute and I regularly average 1000 steps but can do 2000 if I am in the mood and have the time. I am also working out 5 days a week.
As I write this I still am not sure where I will be assigned to teach in Nepal. Tragic flooding occurred there last week that killed well over 1000 people. It has been heartbreaking to watch. My volunteer organization has said it will not impact any of their projects. It could however disrupt travel to Pokhara. I will know more once I arrive in Kathmandu. I emailed them earlier to let them know I can be flexible on my assignment and dates while I am there. Events such as this are sudden and tragic. Nepal unfortunately has more then its share of natural disasters. I try to not let it worry me, but it has my friends and family concerned about my tsafety. I can do my best to stay safe, but when my time is up I am ready. If I am doing something I love then I can go with a joyful heart.
I know this has all been worth it even if I don't get all the way to the peak of Kalapathar and Everest Base Camp. I have already accomplished so much. Physically strong for my age and I am in such a better place mentally now too. I still do daily yoga and meditation and study Buddhism. I am calm, peaceful and happy. My stress levels are low, my sleep is improving, I feel positive all the time. I smile...a lot.
Thank you for following along as I prepared for this adventure. It has been challenging at times but so very rewarding. Please leave a comment if any of this has inspired you to take on your own personal challenge. I have enjoyed documenting this journey to get myself prepared to journey to my dream.
Please follow along on my new blog - Three Months in Nepal https://3monthsinnepal.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment