Thursday, July 23, 2026

No More Doubting Myself

 When I decided over three years ago to challenge myself to take this upcoming journey I knew that getting mentally prepared would be as important as getting physically prepared. Having traveled to Ethiopia on two occasions I knew what to expect as far as basic living conditions. I never struggled with it in Ethiopia and knew that it would not be an issue in Nepal. My vegetarian diet would also not be an issue as meat isn't widely consumed there. Rice and lentils are the main staple of their diet. The altitude in Salleri will also not be an issue as it is just around 8000 feet, a bit lower than Cloudcroft, New Mexico. I usually adjust within 24 hours when I go there. 

My travel plans are laid out to avoid any connecting flights. That is always a huge stress factor for me. I have booked a private service to collect me at the Istanbul Airport and take me to my hotel and then the return a few days later. It was only slightly more expensive than a taxi, but will be much easier, safer and they will be waiting for me at arrivals. In Kathmandu I will be met by a representative from Volunteer Society of Nepal and they will handle everything for the days that I am there, plus my lodging in Salleri. I have also booked my EBC trek through them, and will book Chitwan/Pokhara after I complete my teaching assignment. My flight to Korea is a direct flight and I can catch the express train from the Airport to Seoul Station which is just a short distance to my hotel. So I am feeling confident with my travel plans. 

Teaching... that is what I feel most uneasy about. I do not know what level my students will be, so I cannot prepare much in advance. I do not know if there will be any academic support of I will be left on my own to prepare lessons, teach and control the classroom. I do not have a teaching degree. I have worked with preschoolers, led educational tours at the newspaper in Austin, and volunteered at my own kids schools when they were young. I did a little substitute teaching and I of course had to help my two youngest learn English when they arrived here in the USA. I have received my TESL certificate after completing an online course. I watch Youtube videos of teachers teaching English in Asian countries. I have done all I can to prepare, but it is the unknown that stresses me a bit. I know I can do this, I just cannot let the what-ifs creep into my thoughts.

I am ready as I will ever be for my EBC trek. My confidence is up. I feel that my success on the Inca trail gave me a boost along with my recent hikes in Cloudcroft. I have also adjusted my thinking into being okay if I don't make it all the way to Base Camp. There is a point on the trail just two days shy of Gorak Shep that would give a beautiful view of Mount Everest. That has always been the goal - just to really see that grand mountain. If I can make it there I will consider this a huge success. I hope to make it all the way to Base Camp, but I am going to be realistic in knowing that at my age, I might not. 

I will keep working out until the day I leave. I have been increasing the difficulty of my workouts over the past few weeks. Faster speeds and wearing a weighted vest. It is going quite well. 

I am nervously excited as I approach the final countdown to travel. I am managing to keep the doubting demons away. I have done all I can do to prepare for this trip... physically, emotionally, logistics, gear and packing. I am ready! I can do this!

Thanks to Hikes Like a Woman on FB.






No comments:

Post a Comment